About Performance Wellbeing
British Canoeing's Performance Wellbeing vision is for all athletes, staff and volunteers to thrive in a performance environment that allows them to fulfil their potential and reflect positively on their experiences.
In August 2017 the Performance Wellbeing Group (PWG) was formed, bringing together key staff, athlete, and external representatives to prioritise the wellbeing of athletes, staff, and volunteers involved in our Talent and Performance programmes. The PWG launch article is published here.
Etienne Stott and Zofia Campbell introduce Performance Wellbeing
In this video British Canoeing's Performance Wellbeing Coach, Zofia Campbell and Gold medal Olympian Etienne Stott offer insight into Performance Wellbeing.
I'm delighted with the work that the PWG is doing. Our sport is a fantastic one and I am passionate about making sure everyone who is involved with it comes away with experiences as positive as those I have had.– Jon Schofield, Olympic bronze and silver medallist
Meet the Team
Performance Wellbeing Coach, Zofia
Hi – my name's Zofia and I’m the Performance Wellbeing Coach at British Canoeing.
It’s my job to help make British Canoeing a positive environment for athletes, coaches and volunteers, and to support with any questions or concerns relating to the wellbeing of our athletes.
I’m based at Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham, but also visit Lee Valley regularly, so if you see me around please do say hello!
If you'd like to get in touch, feel free to contact me on [email protected]
Lee Valley dates:
- 30-31st August
Performance Lifestyle Advisor, Emma
Emma works as the (EIS) Performance Lifestyle Advisor for British Canoeing working as part of the multi-disciplinary support team for athletes on the Olympic and Paralympic World Class Programmes.
The Performance Lifestyle service exists to ensure that there is an appropriate balance between the pursuit of performance and the care for the person behind the performance.
The main areas of expertise within Performance Lifestyle are:
- Managing Transitions
- Supporting Wellbeing
- Career Development and Planning
- Personal and Professional Development and Finance.
The Athlete Rep Group
The Athlete Rep Group (ARG) represent the voice of athletes across the World Class and Talent Programmes within our Olympic and Paralympic disciplines. The British Athletes Commission (BAC) - an independent membership association representing the interests of athletes in elite performance sports - support the Athlete Reps in their voluntary roles.
The Athlete Reps deliver the opinions and feedback of our World Class Programme (WCP) and Talent Programme athletes to senior staff including the Performance Leadership Team and the British Canoeing Board. Athlete Reps are also equipped to act as mentors and advisors to support the queries or concerns of fellow athletes. This peer-to-peer scheme provides an alternative route for athletes to be heard when they may be unsure to whom or how their comments should be delivered.
Our inaugural British Canoeing Athlete Reps will hold term for an initial period of one year. The 2018 Reps are:
- Emilia McAllister Jepps, Chair (WCP alumni, Sprint)
- Rachel Cawthorn, Vice Chair - Sprint (WCP athlete, Sprint)
- Jonny Young, Vice Chair - Paracanoe (WCP athlete, Paracanoe)
- Kimberley Woods, Vice Chair - Slalom (WCP athlete, Slalom)
- Deborah Kerr, Communications Officer (WCP athlete, Sprint)
- Charlotte Henshaw, Communications Officer (WCP athlete, Paracanoe)
- Jess Walker, Communications Officer (WCP athlete, Sprint)
- Mallory Franklin, Projects Officer (WCP athlete, Slalom)
Get in Contact
At British Canoeing we want to encourage a free and open culture across the whole of our sport. If you’re worried about something or if you have a concern or question, we want to address it.
Communication is essential for us to resolve problems, but also for us to be aware of and deal with potential issues before problems arise. Click the image below to view our flowchart for raising queries or concerns within or relating to the Performance Department.
Use this form to report a Safeguarding concern.
Accident or Near-Miss
Use this form to report an accident or near-miss.
Athlete Rep Group
If you are an athlete on our World Class or Talent Programmes and you would like to contact the Athlete Rep Group, you can:
- Speak to any of the Reps face to face within your daily training environment.
- Email them on [email protected].
- Email them individually on:
- Emilia McAllister-Jepps: [email protected]
- Rachel Cawthorn: [email protected]
- Kimberley Woods: [email protected]
- Jonny Young: [email protected]
- Deborah Kerr: [email protected]
- Charlotte Henshaw: [email protected]
- Jess Walker: [email protected]
- Mallory Franklin: [email protected]
4. Leave a note in one of our comment boxes at our High Performance Centres.
5. Use our anonymous online comment box below.
Anonymous Comment Box
If you’d prefer, you can use the below comment box to submit a comment, query or concern to the ARG. You are welcome to leave anonymous comments by withholding your name and email address but please note that this will mean that the ARG will not be able to respond to you directly. We encourage you to leave an email address or alternative contact details in case the ARG would like to follow up on your comments or investigate any concerns in more detail.
Information and Resources
On this page you can find downloads for a range of useful information about performance wellbeing.
Performance Wellbeing Strategy
We put our elite athletes, staff and volunteers right at the heart of everything we do. To help us do this we have created our Performance Wellbeing Strategy.
Click the diagram on the right to view the key areas of focus of our strategy.
Safeguarding Policies and Guidance
Our Performance Programmes follow a range of safeguarding policies and guidance. These cover reporting concerns, mental health, trip welfare and more. Click the relevant document below to download.
- Reporting Guide for Safeguarding Concerns within the Performance Department
- Safeguarding Children Policy
- Safeguarding Adults Policy
- Interim Suspension Policy for Safeguarding Investigations
- Mental Health Support Guidelines
- EIS Mental Health Support
- Accident Protocol
- Welfare Point of Contact on Trips: requirements
- Welfare Point of Contact on Trips: responsibilities
- Social Media Guidelines for Staff
- Communicating with Athletes Guidance
- Risk Assessment Procedure for Coaches
Below stores useful performance information. Click the relevant document to download.
- WCP Athlete Handbook
- Centralisation Philosophy: Training at a High Performance Centre or remotely
- World Class Programme Qualification Policy 2019
- Whistleblowing Policy
- Code of Ethics for Staff, Coaches, and Volunteers
- Athlete Code of Conduct - WCP Athletes
- Athlete Code of Conduct - Talent Programme and other British Teams
- Consequences for Breaches of the Athlete Code of Conduct
- Parents and Carers Code of Conduct
- Consequences for Breaches of the Parent/Carer Code of Conduct
- Selection Appeals Process Summary
Performance Wellbeing Advice
Here is some of our wellbeing advice. Click the relevant document to download.