British Canoeing has today announced the launch of the new award which aims to create more opportunities to paddle by increasing the number of qualified leaders.
The Paddlesport Leader Award is the latest addition to British Canoeing’s existing leadership qualifications and will specifically be aimed at people leading others in a sheltered water environment, such as canals, ungraded sections of rivers, estuaries, small lakes and lochs.
The award is ideal for clubs, centres and activity providers wanting to introduce others to the water and enable new volunteers to lead a variety of craft on a journey.
The Paddlesport Leader award is designed to support leaders to run safe, quality, enjoyable trips based on their group’s need and aspirations.
Benefits of the new award include:
• No formal training requirements, with a direct entry assessment available
• The Leader only needs to be skilful in one type of craft but able to lead a mixed fleet
• A one day First Aid and British Canoeing membership are the only prerequisites
“I am really excited about this new award which complements our existing leadership qualifications. We have listened to our members and the feedback received from consultations in order to create the new Paddlesport Leader Award for which we are extremely proud of. Not only will the new award allow us to increase our numbers of leaders and guides, it will in turn create more opportunities to paddle in a safe environment and grow participation in canoeing.”– Lee Pooley, Head of Coaching and Qualifications at British Canoeing
Available from April 2017 British Canoeing will look to roll out the award by completing the following milestones over the coming months:
• November 2016: British Canoeing will be training the trainers
• December 2016 - February 2017: Home Nations will be training the provider workforce
• April 2017: Training and assessment courses will be available throughout the UK
Further updates, including how to become involved in the award, will be promoted via the British Canoeing website and the 'Catch up with Coaching' newsletter.
Click here to ensure you are receiving our ‘Catch up with Coaching’ e-newsletter.