Show search form

Differences to Club Membership

If you want to go on the water outside of club sessions, then you need a waterways license and relevant insurance. Both are a benefit of British Canoeing membership. Read on to learn more.

When English clubs and centres affiliate to British Canoeing they pay a fee for each member of the club that is not a member of British Canoeing. 

Members of the affiliated club are then insured for recognised sessions and activities of the club.

However, these members will not be insured if they canoe or kayak at other times. British Canoeing membership offers them this insurance.

Additionally, a club’s waterways licence only covers the boats for club based sessions or activities. 

Using one of these boats outside of club sessions or activities means you will not be licensed.

If you want to take part in canoe or kayak activities outside of those organised by your club, we urge you to purchase your own membership

This will provide you with your own Waterways Licence and Insurance, giving you peace of mind that you are protected and covered for all the paddling you do.

Please note, membership is based on where you reside in the UK. If you are based in Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland please use the links in the Home Nation Membership section on this page to learn more.