Future Volunteers Programme Online Application
We need to recruit and retain new volunteers who can bring a dynamic approach to volunteering. We need fresh thinking volunteers with new skillsets, knowledge and experience.
If you live in England, have natural creativity, a more strategic view to developing our sport, and are over 18 years of age, we'd like to hear from you for our Future Leaders Programme.
The programme will aim to identify the next generation of regional and national committee members and leaders, as well as helping people develop their expertise and confidence.
Objectives of the programme
- Design a programme for volunteers across the country who have a passion for paddling and want to play their part in leading other volunteers by taking on key regional and national committee roles in the future.
- Develop a two-year supported programme that will equip volunteers to take on senior volunteer management roles much sooner than normally anticipated.
- Help create regional and national volunteer teams that are reflective of the diversity of the local and national community and have a greater representation of younger adults.
- Develop a programme focused on support and development of volunteers.
What's included in the programme
We are currently finalising the programme content, but it will cover the areas below. For more detail, and the skills required to apply, download the Future Volunteer Leaders PDF here.
- 2 x residential weekends covering some key classroom modules. Examples include leadership, teamwork, conflict management and strategy development.
- Ongoing online discussion groups (formal and informal)
- Home-based learning
- Projects/ placements with national and regional committees
- Ongoing mentoring
Online Application Form
Below is the online application form to apply for a place on the Future Volunteers Programme. The form is three pages: personal details, experience, and references. Once completed you will receive an email from us confirming receipt of your application and outlining next steps.
Before completing the form click here to download the Future Volunteer Leaders Advert PDF. This outlines the requirements needed to successfully apply. The deadline for applications is Monday 9th September 2019.
Other Roles for Young Volunteers
Our whole sport depends on the input of volunteers, and by volunteering you can get a lot back by simply giving a little of your time. You can:
- Gain nationally recognised qualifications and British Canoeing awards for your time
- Learn from experienced volunteers and develop transferable skills and knowledge
- Enhance your employability through experience in different roles
- Improve organisational skills and make new friends
Remember, employers and organisations respect someone who volunteers their time. Volunteering in paddlesport will really help your CV.
Opportunities in paddlesport
There are lots of opportunities for young people to get involved in volunteering in paddlesport.
Take a look at our Reward Schemes and Awards, join our Youth Action Network, or get involved in volunteering at your local club or centre.
There are lots of roles you can take on in clubs, in centres, or at regional and national level. Here are just a few:
- Supporting the Volunteer Coordinator
- Assistant Treasurer or fundraising
- Media/Marketing Officer - designing club logos and posters; creating website and newsletters
- General administration - committee minutes; assisting with Clubmark or development plans
- Checking boats and equipment
- Coaching - assistant to coach or leader and helping lead sessions/warm-ups
- Assisting at events and festivals
For more information on all of these take a look at club roles within our Club management section here.
Contact Us For Information
If you want more information on any of the above or want to volunteer and don’t know where to start, contact British Canoeing at [email protected]. We can give you advice on clubs and centres that may need new volunteers and help you find suitable volunteering opportunities.