Safeguarding for Young People
Information for young people
Canoeing should be fun and enjoyable. When you’re taking part in any paddlesports activity, we want you to feel safe and happy. We want you to like what you are doing and enjoy spending time with other young people and the adults who are there to help.
You can’t always do this if you feel unhappy from someone bullying, upsetting or hurting you.
You should always tell someone you know and trust if someone:
- Constantly teases you, shouts at you or calls you names
- Threatens you, your family or friends
- Hits, kicks, punches or hurts you
- Asks you to do, or does, anything in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable
- Makes suggestive remarks or tries to pressure you into something you don’t want to do
- Damages or steals your belongings
- Does anything that makes you feel lonely, worried, unsafe or embarrassed
- Always tries to be alone with you or asks you to meet them alone
- Asks you to send them photos or videos of yourself
- Asks you to move or go onto a specific chat room or social media site
- Asks or threatens you not to tell anyone
If any of this is happening to you:
- Remember it is not your fault
- Always tell someone you know and can trust
- If you don’t know who to trust, call Childline 0800 1111 or NSPCC 0808 800 5000
- Try to keep a record of what upset or hurt you, the date, time and place of when it happened, how you felt and the name of anyone who may have seen what happened
- Do not delete any hurtful or upsetting messages, emails, texts, pictures or videos that you may have been sent or have seen
Do not ignore it – always tell someone
If you are a member of a club, you should have a Club Welfare Officer who you can go to if you have a concern or worry. Your Club Welfare Officer contact details should be displayed on a poster or notice board at your club, or their details should be somewhere on your club website, welcome pack or newsletter.
Staying safe online
The internet is a fantastic! You chat to your friends, meet new people, keep up to date with everything that is going and share photos and videos, even play games and talk to people all over the world without even needing to leave your room.
We’ve created a simple guide to staying safe on the internet. Why not download it now – it’s full of handy tips.