Opportunities and Resources
Opportunities and resources in relation to U Canoe, Training, Higher Education Canoe Representative Scheme and British University and Colleges Sport (BUCS).
U Canoe is an informal youth based activity that can be delivered to a wide range of students. U Canoe offers a participant centred individualised programme where students lead the process and the outcomes for their session.
U Canoe aims to encourage new participants to the sport as well as being an ideal pathway for recreational paddlers. There are currently two different U Canoe opportunities: U Canoe Wired which can be enjoyed indoors and U Canoe Unleashed which is enjoyed outdoors.
Both can be used to suit the needs of the students taking part, this could be:
- Increasing participation
- Developing employability skills
- Improving health and fitness
- Providing a different option for those who ‘traditional sports’ don’t appeal
U Canoe resources can be bought by clicking here.
As part of the U Canoe programme, British Canoeing offers U Canoe Activator training courses, enabling students to engage with U Canoe safely and effectively. There is also an Activator Tutor training course so that Activators can be trained ‘in house’.
Higher Education Canoe Representative Scheme
The Higher Education Canoe Representative role is a voluntary role, where the appointed student will:
- Work with their university Sport Development team to establish/ deliver regular U Canoe sessions and events to encourage participation and inspire the student body.
- Promote the university canoe club(s) and increase the number of students participating in canoeing, working with key partners through British Canoeing programmes.
- Submit monthly participation reports to British Canoeing on the number of students that have participated in U Canoe sessions/ events and canoe club members.
- Work with the club committee and Sports Development Officers to develop the existing canoe club and identity areas for growth, brokering relationships to support.
- Promote volunteering opportunities around U Canoe, highlighting the benefits to students.
- Promote and/ or develop competitive opportunities
- Link to further opportunities for canoeing in the wider community
This role is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is keen to take an active role in developing canoeing at their university and provides a great experience to enhance your CV.
British University and Colleges Sport (BUCS)
The BUCS Canoeing national programme is made up of Canoe Polo, Canoe Slalom and Wild Water Racing Championships.
There is also the opportunity to compete in Canoe Sprint at the World University Championships as part of the BUCS international programme. The World University Championships are for national representative teams (GB & NI) and are held every two years in various countries across the world.
The Sport Advisory Group for Canoeing provides the technical sport specific advice to ensure BUCS can run and develop the programme effectively. If you are interested in getting involved in the Sports Advisory Group please contact Steve Garrett.
For additional opportunities and resources available, please click here.