British Canoeing are laying down the gauntlet to all paddlers this August and challenging you to paddle 30 or 60 miles to earn a free boat sticker.
Jump in your craft, or on your SUP, rack up 30 or 60 miles throughout the month of August, register your miles with us and we will send you a free challenge sticker. Plus, you can spend the rest of the year telling everyone you know how amazing you are for paddling so far!
Perhaps you will choose to have an epic day on the water and collect all your miles in one go, or you may prefer to put in mile or two each day. It doesn't matter how you do it or what kind of craft you paddle, so long as you hit the 30 or 60 mile target a shiny new sticker can be yours. Well, we've gone for matt instead of shiny actually; decisions, decisions...but it's a lovely sticker nonetheless!
Want some inspiration?!
There are loads of ways you can reach your mileage target. You could hire out your local 25m swimming pool and paddle 1931.2 lengths to reach 30 miles. Or, arrange for the entire length of the M8 motorway to be flooded for a day so you can whizz along it in your boat to gain the 60 mile badge.
Both great options but we do have some other (possibly slightly more sensible) ideas for you too:
- Hit the trail - or multiple ones to be more precise. We have over 150 canoe trails listed on our trails map. Look for the ones local to you and keep ticking them off until you hit your target. Then tick a few more off; just to be sure.
- Race your mates - we know you paddlers are a competitive bunch. If you're going to take on the challenge wouldn't it be great to get your mates to join in and then be the first in your group to hit target?! We advise telling everyone you're not bothered about winning before sneaking off for early morning paddles. Or arranging a big party for the gang, then not turning up because you're on the water clocking up your miles!
- Double the challenge - why do just one challenge when you can do two (or three, or four...)?! Our Challenge Routes range in length from 6.5 to 25 miles. Add a few together and you will be getting yourself a challenge certificate and your name on a leaderboard as well as your boat sticker. After that, who knows what you could go on to achieve...maybe you'll be the first world leader to bungee jump off Everest?!
- Club together - get everyone in your club involved and you can all have matching boat stickers; how cool is that?! Almost as cool as when parents dress their children in matching outfits (I'm having shell suit flashbacks now). But seriously, we would love to see some clubs going on group trips to hit target. Club camping trip anyone?
- Go on holiday - no, we're not paying! Perhaps you haven't made your summer holiday plans yet, or maybe the kids don't fancy Disneyland this year (you're hoping). Why not plan an active staycation or trip abroad? Earn your beach time with some time on the water. You can even use your free boat sticker as a postcard on your next trip - what fun! If you don't have your own boat just look up one of our hire providers to help you out.
- Just do it - you can ignore all our ideas if you like - we won't cry (much). Get on the water, enjoy yourself and 30 or 60 miles will be done before you know it.
No need to pre-register for this challenge, although if you want to tell us your plans we would love to hear from you.
From August 1st you can visit this page to log your 30 or 60 miles (just in case some of you are hot off the blocks), so make your plans now. You really don't want to miss out on that FREE STICKER and the glory of being awesome enough to complete this challenge!