White Water Safety and Rescue Training
The White Water Safety and Rescue Training is designed for all paddlers operating in white water environment, either in a kayak or canoe.
It aims to teach simple and practical safety and rescue skills that can be applied appropriately to a moderate white water environment.
For the Course Documents, please visit the British Canoeing Awarding Body website.
Using a range of simulated scenarios this training course teaches safe paddling strategies and a variety of different rescue skills and aims to:
- improve individuals awareness of safety skills in the river environment
- teach personal survival skills
- teach throw line rescue techniques
- understand the need for structure in an emergency situation
- outline basic rescue protocols that prioritise the safety of the individual above all others
- introduce & develop the ‘clean rope’ principle.
White Water Safety and Rescue Training is typically delivered over two days and includes a minimum of 10 hours teaching time.
The majority of the content is delivered in hands-on practical sessions supported by short riverside periods, covering the theoretical content.
Due to the paddling environment and the boat control required to participate in this training course, candidates should be:
- Confident in their ability to paddle on grade 2 water
- Confident swimming in normal paddling clothing suitable for a moving water environment
- There is no age restriction to the WWSR Training course. Where providers choose to allow participants under the age of 18 to attend the course, appropriate safeguarding measures must be implemented and due attention paid to the enhanced legal responsibilities and potential risks. The safety and welfare of those under the age of 18 is paramount.
A First Aid certificate is not a prerequisite. However holding a First Aid certificate is strongly recommended for all paddlers.
Attendance Certificates are issued to successful candidates by British Canoeing following a recommendation from the course provider, subject to the following Certification fees: