Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
This training course is intended for all paddlers, coaches and volunteers irrespective of craft or discipline choice, and is available in either bank-based or boat-based option.
It provides training on key skills needed to operate safely and deal with common emergencies in a sheltered water environment. These skills then form the foundations for safety and rescue throughout British Canoeing awards.
For the Course Documents, please visit the British Canoeing Awarding Body website.
The objective of this training course is to introduce simple and safe skills that can provide the tools to problem solve simple common paddling scenarios in flat/sheltered water regardless of the craft.
Candidates will learn:
- Skills which will enable them to ensure the safety of themselves and others
- Appropriate rescue skills which can be used to help themselves and/or others in difficulty
For more information on the content covered please read the Syllabus.
Foundation Safety and Rescue Training courses are typically delivered over one day and will involve at least eight hours teaching time.
These practical courses take place in calm, sheltered waters either as bank-based or boat-based courses.
Candidates wishing to attend Foundation Safety and Rescue Training must meet the following requirements:
- Able to swim in normal paddling clothing suitable for the prevailing conditions
- Boat-based candidates must also hold the Paddle Explore Award, 2 Star Award or be of equivalent ability due to the paddling environment and the boat control required to complete the course
- Bank-based participants accessing the course are not required to hold a Personal Performance Award. However, they should be prepared to fully participate in all relevant aspects of the course
A first aid certificate is not a pre-requisite. However holding a first aid certificate is strongly recommended for all paddlers.
Attendance Certificates are issued to successful candidates by British Canoeing following a recommendation from the course provider, subject to the following Certification fees: