Funding and Bursaries
Funding can be a great help in enabling you to attend coach education or development courses. Here we highlight some of the opportunities available to you from both within the sport and through external funding sources.
Regional Development Team Funding Schemes
Across England some Regional Development Teams offer funding and bursary support for coaches within their area.
- Southern Regional Development Team: The Southern RDT is currently making some of its funds available to help volunteer coaches with their development. The funding is prioritised for coaches operating in clubs holding the British Canoeing Clubmark award and limited to affiliated clubs within the region.
- North East Regional Development Team: The North East RDT is seeking to support the development of volunteer coaches within British Canoeing Affiliated Clubs in the North East. The priority is to enable all affiliated clubs to be able to offer programmes of coaching in the moderate water environments i.e. Level 2 Coach Moderate Water Endorsement(s).
- North West Regional Development Team: The North West coaching and leadership bursary scheme has been set up to help clubs support and develop their volunteer coaches and leaders. The scheme provides a third off from some coaching and leadership courses. The aim is that the club provides a third of the funding, the region provides a third of the funding leaving only a third of the cost of the course to be provided by the volunteer coach or leader. For more information refer to the North West Coaching and Leadership Team page.
- Cumbria Regional Development Team: The Cumbria RDT are pleased to offer individual Coach & Leader development awards to support and enhance the development of Paddlesport in Cumbria. The purpose of these grants is to increase the number and calibre of Paddle Sport coaches and leaders working in the voluntary sector in Cumbria. Please click here for an application. For further details about the Jim Wilson Bursary, please click here.
- South West Regional Development Team: The South West RDT has some funds available to support Paddlesport within the region.Please click here for further details.
External Funding for Coaches
Sports Coach UK, has produced a regularly updated guide to funding available for coaches in England. The Funding Opportunities for Coaching Guide details both national and regional opportunities, and also includes a ‘Top Tips’ section which will help first time funding applicants to get their applications right.
The process is really easy and aimed at improving provision at a 'grass roots' community level. The people who run the scheme are very approachable and efficient and are happy to guide applicants through the entire process.– Lizzie Harrington, UKCC Level 3 White Water coach, Swaledale Outdoor Club