New for 2021
The NEW Leadership Awards support leaders to run safe, quality, enjoyable trips, based on their group’s needs and aspirations.
NEW Leadership Awards
The NEW Leadership Awards aim to create more opportunities for people to paddle by increasing the number of qualified leaders and will align to the British Canoeing Educational Philosophy.
The awards are ideal for clubs, centres and activity providers looking to lead groups on single or mixed craft journeys, from sheltered water to advanced water.
Key features of the new awards suite include –
- Direct access to the environment you want to lead
- No formal British Canoeing Leadership training requirements
- Direct entry to assessments available
- Single day assessments, allowing more agility, reducing time and expenditure
- NEW eLearning package to support those leading in an unfamiliar environment
- Downloadable logbook to support the recording of activity
- Digital self-analysis tool to support leaders in their development and preparation for assessment
Key changes to the disciplines –
- NEW disciplines: Paddlesport Touring Leader, SUP Inland Open Water Leader, SUP Coastal Leader and Stadium White Water Leader
- Canoe Leadership to be split into Open Water and White Water
- Sea Leadership to have tidal and non-tidal assessment pathways
British Canoeing is delighted and very proud to launch the NEW Leadership qualification suite, being part of the wider 4 year review of all Coaching and Leadership awards. This project has included 3 years of feedback from candidates, Providers, National Associations, Technical Groups and wider consultation... Although much of the content has remained the same, the ethos and accessibility has changed significantly, providing direct access opportunities, single day assessments and no mandatory training, which could reduce both time and expense as well as recognising and celebrating individual experience. Such shift and alignment with our Educational Philosophy supports an individualised journey.– Lee Pooley, Head of Coaching and Qualifications at British Canoeing
The NEW awards will be available from 4th January 2021.
For full details, please visit the British Canoeing Awarding Body website which includes the 'Leadership Awards Announcement' document and the 'FAQs' document.
Aspirant or Existing Leaders
Existing Leadership Award holders
Simply, Leadership Award holders do not need to take the new awards to remain current. As long as the Leadership Award still meets the requirements of your role and you hold National Association membership, a valid First Aid certificate and, from September 2020, current Safeguarding training and evidence of Continual Professional Development, your award is still valid.
Please click here to view the update to safeguarding training.
Candidates currently working through their Leadership Award can choose to complete the Leadership Award this year, or slot into the new awards scheme from the 4th January 2021.
- Canoe Leader – There will be two pathways available, Canoe White Water Leader and Canoe Open Water Leader. Anyone who has completed their Canoe Leader training and still requires both environments can be assessed over a two-day period and, if successful, certificated.
- Advanced Canoe Leader– There will be two pathways available, Advanced Canoe White Water Leader and Advanced Canoe Open Water Leader. Anyone who has completed their Advanced Canoe Leader training and still requires both environments can be assessed over a two-day period and, if successful, certificated.
- White Water Kayak Leader – Anyone who has undertaken the White Water Kayak Leader training and wishes to complete their assessment will undertake the White Water Leader assessment.
- Advanced White Water Kayak Leader – Anyone who has undertaken the Advanced White Water Kayak Leader training and wishes to complete their assessment will undertake the Advanced White Water Leader assessment.
- White Water OC1 Leader – Anyone who has undertaken the White Water OC1 Leader training and wishes to complete their assessment will undertake the White Water Leader assessment.
- Advanced White Water OC1 Leader – Anyone who has undertaken the Advanced White Water OC1 Leader training and wishes to complete their assessment will undertake the Advanced White Water Leader assessment.
For further details about the NEW Leadership Awards, please visit the British Canoeing Awarding Body website.
Questions about the new Awards?
We know many existing Leaders and paddlers will have questions about the NEW qualifications and how this may impact their pathway/journey. Most of this information (and more) is in the ‘Leadership Awards Announcement’ document.
There is a full list of questions and answers in the ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ document.
Both of these documents can be found on the British Canoeing Awarding Body website here.
Become a Provider
British Canoeing and the National Associations will need a number of Leadership Award Providers in order to deliver the NEW Leadership Awards from the 4th January 2021.
Being a Leadership Provider is demanding, but also very rewarding as you will be directly supporting, mentoring and assessing leaders who go on to introduce, support and develop tens of thousands of people exploring the environment through our sport.
The Leadership Award documents can be found on the Awarding Body website here.