We have been around since 1936 as the British Canoe Union. In 2000 we federalised to become the umbrella organisation for the home nation associations in Scotland (Scottish Canoe Association), Wales (Canoe Wales) and Northern Ireland (Canoe Association Northern Ireland). We are still the membership body for England and are responsible for developing the sport within England.
Today British Canoeing is responsible for leading and setting the overall framework for all the National Associations and includes areas such as coaching, competition and representing canoeing interests at a UK level.
Paddlesports for all
Since 1936 there have been many wonderful, significant changes and advances in our sport. Canoeing now covers a wide range of interests and passions as a sport and a leisure activity. We want to support and provide opportunities for everyone to enjoy and realised their potential within all aspects of canoeing regardless of their age, background or ability.
Our Purpose and Vision
The purpose of British Canoeing is to;
“Inspire people to pursue a passion for paddling; for health, enjoyment, friendship, challenge and achievement”
- Engaging recreational paddlers and attracting new paddlers
- Increasing membership and improving member services
- Promoting access, places to paddle and environmental awareness
- Supporting clubs and delivery partners
- Developing and supporting coaches, leaders, instructors and guides
- Developing and supporting volunteers
- Developing talent and achieving international success
- Providing excellent championships, competitions and events
- Focused on governance, people, equality and sustainability
- Improving digital services and communications
More details can be found through our new four year strategic Plan Stronger Together 2022-26