The below positions are for positions in external companies. Please find full details below.
If you have a position you would like to advertise with us, please email [email protected]
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Salary: £40,000 – £45,000 per annum
Job Type: Permanent
Start Date: tbc
Job Reference: BBBH21739
Acorn Executive Search is working in partnership with Canoe Wales to appoint a new Chief Executive Officer to provide inspiring leadership for their staff team and develop the partnerships and programmes needed to get more people on the water and ensure a sustainable future for the organisation.
As the national governing body for paddlesport in Wales, their mission is to inspire and support more people across Wales to go paddling. They are nearly two years into their current strategic plan, and despite the impact of COVID-19, they are in the middle of exciting changes to how they work and what they offer to members, new paddlers and partner organisations. They are also seeing unprecedented demand for outdoor recreation, and your job as their new CEO will be to position Canoe Wales to make the most of this unique opportunity to get more people than ever onto the water.
You will be a thoughtful and caring leader, with the ability to listen to staff, members and directors and translate this insight into a strategy to drive growth and improve the quality of our services. You should have a talent for diplomacy, the confidence to make tough decisions and a knack for building consensus around solutions to contentious issues. With outstanding organisational and communication skills, you should enjoy forging and nurturing partnerships with a diverse range of organisations and funding partners. And you should be comfortable working with senior leaders and key partners, including Sport Wales and British Canoeing, to ensure we maintain strong and productive relationships.
As a small organisation with a unique work culture, this is an exciting opportunity for an experienced senior leader. They have a policy of fully-flexible home working, where employees have the freedom to set their own hours to deliver their objectives. While most of your work will be done from home, you will also need to travel throughout Wales from time to time to meet with staff or partners, attend events and represent Canoe Wales. You do not need to have a background in paddlesport - what matters most is your ability to bring inspiring leadership to a talented team.
- Lead the staff team to deliver, monitor and record progress against the Canoe Wales Strategic Plan
- Ensure all Canoe Wales staff are motivated and supported to deliver the Canoe Wales Strategic Plan and succeed in their roles
- Raise the profile of Canoe Wales within the Welsh sports sector to grow participation and increase membership
- Manage and strengthen existing relationships, including our funding partnership with Sport Wales, and identify and build new partnerships to increase participation and grow investment in paddlesport
- Maintain effective communication with all stakeholders to ensure they're engaged and able to contribute to and inform the development of Canoe Wales
- Work closely with and report regularly to the Board of Directors
- With the Board of Directors, manage the Canoe Wales' budget
- Ensure Canoe Wales maintains a duty of care to all staff and members, including ensuring all safeguarding and child protection systems continue to follow best practice.
- Ensure Canoe Wales is compliant with all legal requirements and meets all governance and capability requirements required for Sport Wales' investment, including leading on the process of reviewing key policies and procedures
- Lead on the process of developing and embedding the Canoe Wales Equality Policy in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the Equality Lead Officer
We are looking for someone who has:
- Experience in a senior management role
- Experience managing and motivating staff & volunteers and providing support to ensure they can achieve their best at work
- Managed a large budget across multiple programme areas
- Experience of preparing proposals and/or reports for a funder
- Knowledge of strategic planning and monitoring and evaluation methodology
- Confident with financial information and able to prepare and manage budgets
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work remotely and manage your own schedule and work priorities
- Experience managing teams remotely
- Passion for sport and an ability to motivate and energise others (it is not essential to be involved directly in paddlesport at present)
- A commitment to achieving equality and diversity in high performance sport
- Ability to occasionally work unsocial hours including evenings and weekends with overnight stays when required
We encourage women and other people who are under-represented in paddlesport and sports leadership to apply.
Closing Date: Monday 25 January 2021
Keen to hear more? Get in touch with Zoiya Saleem at Acorn Recruitment to arrange a confidential discussion.
Operations Officer - Scottish Canoe Association
Location: Grandtully, PH9 0PL
Salary: Up to £24,000
The Scottish Canoe Association (SCA) excels in all of the activities covered by a Sports Governing Body. Details of our recent achievements can be found in the SCA Annual Report 2019-2020. We pride ourselves on being well run and extremely innovative. We do all this through effective teamwork between our volunteers, staff, board, providers and clubs and through efficient use of technology and systems. In addition, we are actively developing strategic partnerships to extend the reach and impact of our work in order to change lives through paddlesport. The new role of Operations Officer, based in Grandtully, will be at the heart of our organisation, often being the primary point of contact for members, customers and visitors to our campsite. We seek an extremely capable individual to take on this new role. You will be an enthusiastic person who can efficiently deliver many projects and tasks concurrently, with precision. You will be able to communicate, support and negotiate effectively with a wide variety of customers, members, and partners. Key Functions:
- To provide excellent front line customer service to everyone that interacts with the Scottish Canoe Association
- To support SCA staff and members to improve digital dexterity
- To work flexibly and collaboratively in a small distributed team environment, supporting each other with tasks such as event management, communication, system support etc.
- To work accurately, consistently and to agreed timescales across all areas of work
As Operations Officer, you will be responsible for handling telephone calls, emails, and in-person visitors to handle membership, event and campsite bookings. You will also support the organisation of events held across Scotland. Strong communications skills, flexibility and attention to detail are key to working with members, volunteers, the public and external providers. Together with other staff and volunteers, you will help us grow the sport and our membership. The successful candidate will be extremely capable and time-efficient in IT, particularly in the use of online databases, booking and entry systems and websites. You will be able to demonstrate that you can manage your own work schedule and meet deadlines. Excellent influencing and communication skills and a focus on customer service and attention to detail are also essential in this role. SCA is committed to selecting staff solely on the basis of their ability to do the job for which they are being recruited, and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community. Applications are especially welcome from individuals within groups currently under-represented within the SCA staff, such as women, disabled people and those from black and minority ethnic communities.
- Closing date: Noon on Monday 11th January 2021
- First online interviews (15 mins): 14th and 15th of January
- Second online interviews: 18th and 19th January
Read more about the role, including the job description, person specification and how to apply online on our website: canoescotland.org/vacancy-operations-officer
Lead Safeguarding Officer
Canoe Wales is seeking a new Lead Safeguarding Officer to ensure we continue to maintain the highest standards in our approach to safeguarding and child protection. You will have the primary responsibility for the initial management and investigation of all safeguarding concerns for both adults and children and for ensuring the implementation and regular review of procedures to safeguard children and adults in the organisation. You will be a visible source of support and advice for club safeguarding officers.
Over the past three years, Canoe Wales has made major changes to our systems and procedures for safeguarding, achieving Level 3 of the NSPCC Safeguarding Standards and making good progress toward broader awareness and understanding of safeguarding throughout paddlesport in Wales. Your job will be to build on this foundation to continue this momentum – ultimately making Canoe Wales an example of best practice in safeguarding in sport.
You will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the Canoe Wales Safeguarding Case Management Group and the Board of Directors’ Safeguarding Lead.
For more information about the role and how to apply, please click here.
Coquet Shorebase Trust – Watersports Centre Manager
Coquet Shorebase Trust – Amble
Watersports Centre Manager
Salary: in the region of £25,000 depending on qualifications
Coquet Shorebase Trust is a community Watersports Centre offering affordable canoeing, kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, powerboating, and paddleboarding activities. Coquet Shorebase Trust offers craft hire, guided tours, activity sessions, British Canoeing and RYA courses. Our aim is to provide watersports for all.
This post is to develop and manage a BC and RYA watersports centre. The successful applicant will be expected to develop and improve the activities that CST can deliver, actively market CST to potential users, control day to day finances and take overall lead in the day to day management of the watersports centre.
The successful applicant must possess or be looking to gain an RYA Senior Instructor certificate, British Canoeing (Moderate Water Coach and Leader – White Water or equivalent), and you must have a minimum of 2 years fulltime experience in the outdoor industry in a senior role.
READY TO APPLY?
1. Fill out our online application form: https://forms.gle/urLimNcqn6pDzb728
2. Send CV and covering letter to [email protected]
The cover letter should demonstrate how you meet the job description and person specification attached.
Coquet Shorebase Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people; therefore, an Enhanced DBS is required. Coquet Shorebase Trust is an equal opportunities employer, we do not discriminate against race, colour, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age. Should you require any adjustments to be made for you to be properly considered for the role, please contact us using our email address.
Closing date for applications: 11:59pm on the 15th January 2021
Interview Date: 1st February 2021